This newsletter is an experiment of sorts: Doc and I email each other weekly, with you lovely people bcc’d. Please hit reply if you’d like to talk to me about anything I cover below.
Did you know that Vito has 6 completely separate dropdown-list implementations?
Today, I spent a bit of the morning reducing that to a single, consistent one. I'm happy, because this is exactly the kind of work that happens just before a release that feels like it's the one.
Ironically, the other time that an app feels as consistent as I think what we're working on will, is around the first month. When there are only one or two folks working on a codebase, there's not a huge amount of divergence of techniques, and all of the history of the app is in one head, fairly manageable.
I was also pre-cataloguing all of the updates that have gone into what I'm working on, which, let's face it, is a mega-project. I'm aiming for net-0 code changes, but it's currently running at 14k lines added, 11k lines removed, so I have a bit to go. But there is a lot of cruft that I can still remove. 650 commits in 6 weeks. Code review will be fun.
Here’s the list:
- A more robust video player implementation for pre-recorded videos and livestreams
- A much improved live now / upcoming view for livestreams and events
- The ability to list events without sessions
- The ability to put videos, livestreams, cards, events and images as blocks on pages
- The ability to make any video, livestream, card, event or block visible to collaborators, participants or visitors, and to mix and match different elements.
- The ability to attach any of the above to a post, resulting in a rich-feed
- Removing "fixed" pages in hub navigation ... you can put pages anywhere
I can't wait to write about all of these features from a marketing perspective. This is now as close as we’ve come to the app that we’ve been talking about for ... years.
It's hard to know when to stop, but I think tidying now and iterating after shipping is right. I'm looking forward to some of your UI suggestions. Perhaps we’ll look at some of those in our weekly office hours. See you there, today at 4pm Irish.
See you on the other side,
64 Dame Street, Dublin, D02 RT72, Ireland
Powered by EmailOctopus.